Chia H. Wu, MD, MBABoard Certified in Orthopaedic Surgery and Hand Surgery
Dr. Wu’s approach to patient care is focused on understanding each patient’s needs and tailoring treatments accordingly. He is committed to collaborative decision-making based on the latest medical research and cutting-edge technology. He aims to help patients regain their pre-injury level of function in order to get the most out of life.
Dr. Wu has achieved the designation of Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (FAAOS). This distinction is the highest established recognition bestowed by the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) to surgeons who represent a commitment to quality, professional development, and continuous education.
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Dupuytren's Contracture
- Ligament Reconstruction
- Surgery of the Elbow, Wrist, and Hand
- Peripheral Nerve Injuries
- Medical School Medicine | Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania
- Internship General Surgery | Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
- Residency Orthopedic Surgery | University of Pennsylvania Health System
- Fellowship Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery | New York Presbyterian Hospital - Columbia University
- Master Of Business Administration Health Care Management | Wharton School of Business
- Board Certification Orthopedic Surgery | American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Subspecialty Certification Surgery of the Hand | American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Affiliated Hospitals Houston Methodist Baytown Hospital
- American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
- Surgery of Hand Subspecialty Certification
- Primary Hospital Affiliation: Houston Methodist Baytown Hospital
- Other Hospital Affiliations: Houston Methodist Hospital
- Other Institutional Affiliations: Houston Methodist Academic Institute
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- American Association for Hand Surgery
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand
Peer-reviewed Original Articles:
- Rankin EB, Rha J, Wu CH et al. Hypoxia Inducible Factor 2 Regulates Vascular Tumorigenesis in Mice. Nature Oncogene. 2008; 27(40): 53545358.
- Kamath AF, Slattery TR, Levack AE, and Wu CH et al. Trochlear Inclination Angles in Normal and Dysplastic Knees. J of Arthroplasty. 2012; PMID: 22704031
- Sewick A, Makani A, Wu CH et al. Does Dual Antibiotic Prophylaxis Better Prevent Surgical Site Infections in Total Joint Arthroplasty? CORR. 2012; 10(1007): 2255-2260.
- Wu CH, Gray CF, Lee GC. Arthrodesis Should Be Strongly Considered after a Failed Two-stage Reimplantation TKA. CORR. 2014; 472(11): 3295-304. PMID: 24488752.
- Wu CH, Mcleod L, and Flynn JM. An Economic Eval of Posterior Spinal Fusion for Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis. University of Pennsylvania Orthopaedic Journal (UPOJ). 2015; 25(01): 23-27.
- Sarkissian E, Sankar W, Zhu X, Wu CH et al. Radiographic Follow-up of DDH: Are X-rays Necessary After a Normalized Ultrasound? Journal of Ped Orthopaedics. 2015; 35(6): 551-555.
- Rozell JC, Courtney PM, Dattilo JR, Wu CH, Lee GC. Should All Patients Be Included in Alternative Payment Models for Primary THA and TKA? J of Arthroplasty 2016;31(9):45-49.
- Courtney PM, Dattilo JR, Wu CH, Lee GC. Late Complications Following Elective Primary THA and TKA: Who, When, and How? J of Arthroplasty 2017; 32(3): 719-723.
- Friedman JM, Couso R, Kitchens M, Vakhshori V, Hillin CD, Wu CH et al. Benign Heart Murmur as z Predictor for Complications after Total Joint Arthroplasty. J of Orthopaedics.2017;14(4):470-474.
- Rozell JC, Courtney PM, Dattilo JR, Wu CH. Preop Opiate Use Independently Predicts Narcotic Consumption and Complications after Total Joint Arthroplasty. J of Arthroplasty 2017;32(9):2658-62.
- Kazmers N, Liu T, and Wu CH et al. Deferring routine wrist radiography does not affect management of de Quervain tendinopathy patients. J Wrist Surg. 2018 Apr;7(2):115-120. doi: 10.1055/s-0037-1606124.
- Backer H, Wu CH et al. Spinopelvic Dissociation in Patients Suffering Injuries from Airborne Sports. Eur Spine J. 2019 Apr 29. doi: 10.1007/s00586-019-05983-6. PMID: 31037422.
- Wu CH, Shoap S, Strauch RJ. Subcutaneous Transposition of the Flexor Pollicis Longus: Does It Provide Increased Length for Tendon Repair? Hand (N Y). 2019 Mar 20:1558944719837014. PMID:30894030.
- Bäcker HC, Wu CH, Strauch RJ. Systematic Review of Diagnosis of Clinically Suspected Scaphoid Fractures. J Wrist Surg. 2020 Feb;9(1):81-89. PMID: 32025360.
- Bäcker HC, Wu CH, Krüger D et al. Metal on Metal Bearing in Total Hip Arthroplasty and Its Impact on Synovial Cell Count. J Clin Med. 2020 Oct 18;9(10):3349. PMID: 33081071.
- Bäcker HC. Wu CH, Vosseller JT. Spinopelvic dissociation in patients suffering injuries from airborne sports. Eur Spine J. 2020 Oct;29(10):2513-2520. PMID: 31037422.
- Bäcker HC, Wu CH, Maniglio M et al. Epidemiology of proximal femoral fractures. 2021 Jan;12(1):161-165. J Clin Orthop Trauma. 2021 Jan;12(1):161-165. PMID: 33716441.
- Bäcker HC, Wu CH, Perka C et al. Dual-Energy Computed Tomography in Spine Fractures: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Int J Spine Surg. 2021 Jun;15(3):525-535. PMID: 33963025.
- Bäcker HC, Wu CH, Schulz MR et al. App-based rehabilitation program after total knee arthroplasty: a randomized controlled trial. 2021 Sep;141(9):1575-1582. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. PMID: 33547927.
- Bäcker HC, Heyland M, Wu CH et al. Breakage of intramedullary femoral nailing or femoral plating: how to prevent implant failure. Eur J Med Res. 2022 Jan 13;27(1):7. PMID: 35027077
- Tedesco LJ, Wu CH, Strauch RJ. How Close Are the Volar Wrist Ligaments to the Distal Edge of the Pronator Quadratus? An Anatomical Study. Hand (N Y). 2022 Jan;17(1):35-37. PMID: 32100567
- Bäcker HC, Wu CH, Kienzle A et al. Mechanical failure of total hip arthroplasties and associated risk factors. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2022 Jan 28. doi: 10.1007/s00402-022-04353-0. PMID: 35088168
- Amini DA, Wu CH, Perka C et al. Cure rate of infections is not an argument for spacer in two-stage revision arthroplasty of the hip. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2022 May 9. PMID: 35534712.
- CY Heimer, Wu CH, Perka C et al. The Impact of the Laterality on Radiographic Outcomes of the Bernese Periacetabular Osteotomy. J Pers Med. 2022 Jun 29;12(7):1072. PMID: 35887568.
- Bäcker HC, Thiele K, Wu CH et al. Distal Radius Fracture with Ipsilateral Elbow Dislocation: A Rare but Challenging Injury. J Pers Med. 2022 Jul 1;12(7):1097. PMID: 35887594
- Heimer CY, Wu CH, Perka C et al. The Impact of Hip Dysplasia on CAM Impingement. J Pers Med. 2022 Jul 12;12(7):1129. PMID: 35887626
- Konigsberg MW, Tedesco LJ, Mueller JD, Ball JR, Wu CH. Recurrence Rates of Dorsal Wrist Ganglion Cysts After Arthroscopic Versus Open Surgical Excision: A Retrospective Comparison. Hand (N Y). 2023 Jan;18(1):133-138. PMID: 33789496.
Reviews and Editorials:
- Guo RC, Cardenas, JM, Wu CH. Triquetral Fractures Overview. Review Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2021 Apr;14(2):101-106. PMID: 33483875
- Price MB, Vanorny D, Mitchell S, Wu CH. Hamate Body Fractures: a Comprehensive Review of the Literature. Review Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2021 Dec;14(6):475-484. PMID: 34932201.
- Bäcker HC, Wu CH, Pförringer D et al. A Review of Functional Outcomes after the App-Based Rehabilitation of Patients with TKA and THA. Review J Pers Med. 2022 Aug 21;12(8):1342. PMID: 36013291
- Sheth M, Mitchell S, Bell B, Wu CH. Essex-Lopresti Lesions and Longitudinal Radioulnar Instability: A Narrative Review. JBJS Rev. 2022 Mar 3;10(3). PMID: 35263316
- Mitchell TW, Mitchell SA, Wu CH. Radial Collateral Ligament Injuries of the Thumb Metacarpophalangeal Joint. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2022 Dec;15(6):581-589. PMID: 36303098.
- Wu CH, Strauch RJ. Wrist Denervation: Techniques and Outcome. Orthop Clin North Am - Unique or Select Procedures. 2019 Jul;50(3):345-356. Epub 2019 Apr 16. PMID: 31084837.
- Wu CH, Alrabaa R, Kadiyala RK. Fractures of the Elbow: A Clinical Case Book. Chapter 13: Failed Olecranon Fixation. ISBN 978-3-030-22856-9. Published by Springer Books Oct 2019.
- Wu CH, Strauch RJ. Chapter 25: Surgical Treatment of Thumb CMC Joint Fractures, Dislocations, and Instabilities. Operative Technique in Orthopedic Surgery edited by Wiesel et al. May 2021. ISBN: 9781975145071
- Shoap SC, Wu CH, Freibott CE et al. Chapter 20: RASL procedure. Wrist and Elbow Arthroscopy with Selected Open Procedures: A Practical Surgical Guide to Techniques edited by Geissler W. Nov 2021. ISBN: 978-3-030-78881-0.
- Wu CH. Advice for New Fellows. ASSH Perspectives Newsletter. Sept, 2022. assh.org/s/perspectives
- Wu CH. Jersey Finger for Family Practice, Urgent Care, and Emergency Providers. Ortho Refresh. Feb, 2023. www.orthorefresh.com
- Brown DB, Wu CH. “Get a grip on hand conditions.” Mar, 2023. baytownsun.com/news/get-a-grip-on-hand-conditions
- Brown DB, Wu CH. “Medical Moment: Get a grip on hand conditions.” Blue Bonnet News. Mar 2023. bluebonnetnews.com/2023 /03/03/medical-moment-get-a-grip-on-hand-conditions
- Dr. Wu grew up in Taiwan and the US. In addition to English, Dr. Wu speaks fluent Taiwanese and Mandarin
Recognized by the current ASSH president as a formal member of the Society of Hand Surgery
Chia H. Wu, MD, MBA
1677 W. Baker Rd.
Baytown, TX 77521